Makes: 2 sandwiches
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons Sir Kensington’s Spicy Brown Mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 thick slices country-style bread
4 tablespoons and 1/4 cup Sir Kensington’s Classic Mayonnaise, divided
1/4 cup Sir Kensington’s Spicy Brown Mustard
6 slices ham
1 cup Gruyère cheese, grated, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
2 eggs, fried (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- To make béchamel, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Once butter begins to foam, whisk in flour. Continue whisking 1-2 minutes to toast flour. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until sauce is thickened, 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in Sir Kensington’s Spicy Brown Mustard, nutmeg and kosher salt to taste.
- Arrange slices of bread on rimmed baking sheet. Coat each slice with approximately 1 tablespoon Sir Kensington’s Classic Mayonnaise. Toast bread in oven for 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- While bread toasts, combine remaining mayonnaise with mustard in a separate bowl.
- Remove bread from oven and flip over. Coat each slice of bread with mayonnaise-mustard mixture. Spread 2-3 tablespoons béchamel sauce on top of the mayo-mustard mixture on two slices of bread. Top béchamel with three slices folded ham and 1/4 cup Gruyère cheese. Top with remaining bread slices, mustard side down. Spread béchamel sauce over sandwiches and sprinkle with remaining cheese and black pepper to taste. Return to oven for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is golden brown and bubbling.
- Optional: to make this sandwich even fancier, top with fried egg and make it a Croque Madame!