Makes: 4 sandwiches
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Total: 30 minutes
Recipe note: Vegetarian Friendly, Make it Vegan by leaving the cheese out or using vegan cheese slices
Ingredients½ cup apple cider vinegar + 2 tablespoons
½ cup water
2 teaspoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 pound tempeh, cut into eight ¼-inch thick squares (3½-inch squares)
1 cup sauerkraut
2 teaspoons honey
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
½ cup Sir Kensington’s Vegan Special Sauce
8 slices rye bread
8 slices Swiss cheese
- Combine ½ cup vinegar, water, allspice, salt, and paprika in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a simmer, add tempeh, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 12 minutes, turning tempeh halfway through. Transfer tempeh to a plate and let rest 10 minutes; discard “corning” liquid.
- Meanwhile, cook sauerkraut, remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, and honey in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates, about 4 minutes. Transfer sauerkraut to a bowl and wipe out skillet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in now empty skillet over medium until shimmering, add 4 pieces of tempeh and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes, flip and continue to cook until second side is golden brown, about 3 minutes more. Wipe out skillet and repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and remaining tempeh pieces.
- Brush remaining 1 tablespoon oil on one side of each slice of bread. Flip bread slices over and spread 1 tablespoon Vegan Special Sauce on slice of bread. Top mayo-side of 4 slices of bread as follows: 1 slice cheese, 2 pieces tempeh, sauerkraut, and 1 more slice of cheese. Press remaining slices of bread, mayo-side down, on top of sandwiches.
- Heat now empty skillet over medium for 2 minutes. Place 2 sandwiches in pan and cook until golden brown, 2 minutes, flip and continue to cook second side until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 2 minutes more. Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining sandwiches.